Job Title: General Manager
Reporting Manager: Chairman HBT
Location: Ahuriri, Hawke’s Bay
Travel Required: Yes
Position Type: Full time
Regular contact with:
- Hawke’s Bay Regional Council
- Local Authorities
- Territorial local Authority – Napier City Council, Hastings District Council, Wairoa District Council and Central Hawke’s Bay District Council
- National agencies involved in encouraging visitors to NZ and Hawke’s Bay i.e. Tourism New Zealand and the Ministry of Economic Development
- Regional agencies who share the same agenda, i.e. other Regional Tourism Organisations
- Local tourism providers
- IT and Finance service providers
- Private companies who are actively involved in providing goods and services to the visitor market.
- Sector organisations
- Maori agencies and Iwi groups
- Staff of Hawke’s Bay Tourism
Hawke’s Bay Tourism is the official Regional Tourism Organisation for Hawke’s Bay. Hawke’s Bay Tourism is funded by the Hawke’s Bay Regional Council and by private contributions.
Membership to Hawke’s Bay Tourism is via the Hawke’s Bay Tourism Industry Association (previously Hawke’s Bay Wine Country Tourism Association). The Hawke’s Bay Tourism Industry Association is the sole shareholder of Hawke’s Bay Tourism.
Hawke’s Bay is an iconic New Zealand holiday destination for both kiwis to visit and international visitors to enjoy.
Hawke’s Bay Tourism’s role is to “Get visitors here now, doing more and coming back”.
We do this by developing and implementing strategies to market Hawke’s Bay as a visitor destination both domestically and internationally. Our purpose is to grow the value of tourism for the benefit of the Hawke’s Bay region.
This is achieved by developing and implementing marketing, media, and travel trade strategies by working with our local tourism industry in Hawke’s Bay and the wider national and international network of stakeholders, travel sellers and media.
Reporting to the Chairman of the Hawke’s Bay Tourism Board you will be responsible for developing and directing the execution of the organisations strategic plan. This includes the management of approximately eight staff.
Objectives of this role; To lead, manage and deliver HBT’s annual strategic plan.
- Regional leadership of the tourism industry in Hawke’s Bay
- Stakeholder management of all Council, industry and iwi relationships
- Management and development of all staff
- Overall management of the regions marketing activity
- Overall management of communications – both in managing media and public relations activity
- Oversite of the Regional Events Strategy
- Challenging and disrupting traditional destination marketing practices
- Management and reporting of all financials
Regional Visitor Strategy development.
Regional agreement has been given to develop a Regional Visitor Strategy for Hawke’s Bay. HBT will need to lead this piece of work and bring together key stakeholders.
This involves quarterly reporting to HBRC as HBT’s funder, and Board reporting 8-10 times per annum. Quarterly Updates to industry are also required.
Councils are a key point of contact. While HBT does not formally report to all Councils in Hawke’s Bay, it does need to have a positive working relationship across all Councils. Each Council will expect reporting at times throughout the year.
HBTIA is the industry body for HBT and you will be required to meet this group every 6-8 week.
E-comms, in-person updates, monthly sector meetings are all part of the role.
Oversight of the tourism industry website www.hawkesbaytourism.nz
HBT has to be seen to be generating revenue alongside the HBRC contribution. This can be via sponsorship, membership fees, advertising sales etc as well as contra generated via trade famils and media visits. All staff need to be responsible for recording contra so we can track and report on this to Council.
Monitor all expenditure, approve all expenditure. Work with finance/admin coordinator to create Board and Quarterly reports for HBRC.
- Oversight of annual marketing plans. This plan is managed by the Marketing Manager but does need to be understood and reported on. MBM in Wellington is our media buying agency.
- Oversight of website development plans
- Oversite of content plan
- Management of all media/PR comms on behalf of organisation. (Media visits coordinated by media coordinator)
- Reviewing latest data sets, using key findings for industry and stakeholders.
- Maintaining data sets (Marketing Manager has good oversight of this)
- Oversight of Trade Marketing Plan which is implemented by AKL based staff member.
- Attendance at trade shows – TRENZ/Explore
- Membership of Explore Central North Island Marketing Alliance and Classic New Zealand Wine Trail. This makes up our commitment to support TNZ run Kiwi Links etc
- Trade development – assisting international ready businesses to grow.
- Conference Sector – coordination of group, collateral, website presence
- Grow our overall membership, therefore revenue to HBT.
- Membership administered by membership coordinator.
- Oversite of various groups – Conference Group, International Marketing Group, Weddings Group.
HBT has a leadership role in relation to events for Hawke’s Bay. We work closely alongside event managers from Hastings District Council and Napier City Council.
We actively manage (with the help of contractors);
- FAWC! Food and Wine Classic Hawke’s Bay in June and November
- The Big Easy at Easter
We coordinate the regional sponsorship of the Hawke’s Bay Marathon. Hawke’s Bay will host for the next three years 2019/2020/ 2021.
We assist other events within our existing channels
We update www.hawkesbaytourism.com with events info for event managers
- HBT is a member of Regional Tourism NZ and this group meets up to 4 times a year
- HBT is a member of TECNZ
- HBT needs to foster good working relationships with Tourism New Zealand, Air New Zealand, Hawke’s Bay Airport, Auckland Airport, Christchurch Airport, Jetstar, Napier Port, Cruise New Zealand, Tourism Industry Aotearoa.
You will need to be a confident communicator and have a relevant tertiary qualification with at least 10 years in general management or at a senior marketing / communication level
You must be able to lead teams but also the strategy and planning. You will be both strategic and tactical in your approach and have proven experience in managing campaigns and partnerships.
Skills and experience:
- Degree qualified in marketing, tourism or a related field.
- 10+ years’ experience in tourism and or marketing
- Strategic thinker- ability to effectively plan, execute and manage
- Good communicator
- Understanding of SEO, SEM, Google Analytics and CRM
- Understanding of digital infrastructure and tracking methods.
- Strong understanding of web metrics and analytics