Job Description – Hawke’s Bay Tourism Media & Public Relations Manager
Job Title: Media & Public Relations Manager
Reporting Manager: CEO
Location: Ahuriri, Hawke’s Bay
Travel Required: Yes
Position Type: Full time
Regular contact with:
- Territorial local Authorities – Napier City Council, Hastings District Council, Wairoa District Council and Central Hawke’s Bay District Council
- Hawke’s Bay Regional Council
- National agencies involved in encouraging visitors to New Zealand and Hawke’s Bay i.e. Tourism New Zealand and the Ministry of Economic Development
- Media outlets, journalists, travel writers, influencers, bloggers etc
- Regional agencies who share the same agenda, i.e. other Regional Tourism Organisations
- Local tourism businesses and operators
- Travel trade (e.g. Inbound Tour Operators in NZ, wholesalers and retailers offshore)
- Agencies specialising in design, print, and digital
- Sector organisations (i.e. TECNZ, RTNZ, TIA, New Zealand Cruise Assoc etc)
- Maori agencies and Iwi groups
- The staff of Hawke’s Bay Tourism
Hawke’s Bay Tourism is the official Regional Tourism Organisation for Hawke’s Bay. Hawke’s Bay Tourism is funded by the Hawke’s Bay Regional Council and by private contributions. Membership to Hawke’s Bay Tourism is via the Hawke’s Bay Tourism Industry Association – the sole shareholder of Hawke’s Bay Tourism.
Vision for Hawke’s Bay
- We want more visitors to come now, do more and come back
Objectives of this role
- To generate positive unpaid promotional content promoting Hawke’s Bay as the ideal visitor destination through external channels via a range of proactive communications activity
- Develop content for use in Hawke’s Bay Tourism’s channels which highlights the quality and diversity of experiences available to visitors to the region
- Coordinate Hawke’s Bay Tourism’s media hosting programme
- Work alongside the Marketing Manager to deliver the Key Performance Indicators signed off by the Hawke’s Bay Regional Council and to deliver the region’s marketing and communications objectives
- Manage and implement Hawke’s Bay Tourism’s PR plan
- Host media in the region
- Manage internal and external communications
- Develop effective working relationships with key stakeholders
- Comply at all times with financial regulations and corporate financial reporting arrangements and control requirements
- To professionally represent the values and essence of Hawke’s Bay and Hawke’s Bay Tourism
Summary of key tasks
Generate unpaid positive content
- Consumers of media are more likely to absorb information that appears to be authentic and independent of advertising. For this reason, the development of positive stories related to Hawke’s Bay’s undeniable qualities as a sophisticated and vibrant visitor destination is crucial.
- Hawke’s Bay Tourism has developed an industry-leading destination website which aims to provide visitors and prospective visitors with an engaging, informative and impartial ‘front door’ to the region through the regular development of new content which builds and enhances perceptions of the visitor proposition and inspires people to visit Hawke’s Bay.
Key responsibilities relating to content development include:
- Ideation and discovery
- Lead organisational efforts to identify content opportunities through industry engagement and research.
- Co-develop content plans to support consumer marketing including seasonal campaigns and events.
- Preparation and development.
- Coordinate content development in accordance with agreed plan which may include a combination of resourcing, research, writing, photography, videography, and design. All content should be produced to a high standard and be consistent with HBT Brand Guidelines.
- Load curated content to http://www.hawkesbaynz.com with consideration for positioning and duration of posting.
- Assist in the day-to-day maintenance of http://www.hawkesbaynz.com to ensure accuracy and relevancy of information.
- Amplification and syndication.
- Work to integrate content into HBT’s social channel calendar as a means of extending the reach for each piece of curated content, in order to further educate and inspire prospective visitors about Hawke’s Bay while also growing website traffic.
- Identify and target local, national and international opportunities to syndicate curated content into external channels, including those managed by news media, industry partners and broader stakeholders.
- As the regional marketing organisation for the region, Hawke’s Bay Tourism is the local industry’s strongest advocate. A key task will be in identifying opportunities to champion the importance of the tourism industry to Hawke’s Bay, as well as highlighting its successes, in local and national environments.
Key responsibilities relating to public relations include:
- Identify opportunities, and respond to media and stakeholder requests, to issue media releases; prepare engaging and informative copy for the approval of the CEO and/or Marketing Manager; and issue releases to distribution list/s with follow-up as required.
- Maintain up-to-date media and other stakeholder distribution lists.
- Develop and foster professional relationships with relevant media organisations and other influencers which positively impact opportunities for publication of content issued by Hawke’s Bay.
- Develop a communications plan to support each channel.
- Work with the Marketing Manager to create and execute proactive communications activities which contribute to achieving organisational objectives.
- Hawke’s Bay Tourism hosts 30-40 media each year from around New Zealand and the world. The coverage achieved from these media visits extends our marketing reach beyond what could be achieved through paid media alone, so is an important component of our marketing mix.
Key responsibilities relating to media include:
- Lead the coordination of the international media programme – this involves building media itineraries, working with Tourism New Zealand and hosting media while on the ground in Hawke’s Bay.
- Work with the Marketing Manager to identify new opportunities for media hosting and complete key responsibilities as required.
- Respond to media enquiries and requests for images.
- Hosting media while they are here.
- Assist in the retention of, and attraction of prospective, members through benefits of partnering with Hawke’s Bay Tourism in public relations and publicity-related initiatives.
- Liaise with Hawke’s Bay Tourism partners and stakeholders as first port of call for public relations and publicity related queries and requests.
- Help coordinate industry meetings, industry famils and events such as the Tourism Awards/Conference for members of the organisation.
- Assist partners with promotion and press releases related to promotional deals and business developments.
- Other duties as requested to support the objectives of Hawke’s Bay Tourism, including but not limited to resource support for Hawke’s Bay Tourism events and activations.
- An enthusiastic, likeable individual that represents the values and essence of Hawke’s Bay. Ideally they will have established relationships with media, but if not have the ability to quickly generate strong, respectful, and genuine business relationships.
- The ability to listen, to match story and information needs and/or gaps with Hawke’s Bay offerings.
- A tertiary qualification and/or appropriate experience in a relevant discipline, e.g. Diploma or Degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism or other similar discipline.
- Ability to apply knowledge of the following areas in the context of the role:
- Understanding of all forms of traditional, contemporary, and social media.
- Understanding of the regional economic, cultural and political environment.
- Computer skills are essential, management of CRM systems and Microsoft programmes are mandatory. Also the ability to operate spreadsheets and word processing at a highly proficient level.
- Have established relationships with media.
- Be a competent writer.